The first BADGER, an auxiliary
cruiser, was built in 1889 by John Roach and Sons, Chester, Pa.,
as Yumuri; purchased 19 April 1898, converted to an auxiliary
cruiser at New York Navy Yard, commissioned 25 April 1898, Commander
A. S. Snow in command; and joined the North Patrol Squadron.
From 1 July to 18 August 1898 BADGER
served on the blockade of Cuba. On 26 July 1898, off the Dry
Tortugas, she seized a Spanish tug with two vessels in tow, each
with a quarantine flag hoisted. They were given medical assistance,
provisioned, and kept in port until 3 August when a prize crew
was put aboard the tug to sail her to New York. The other two
vessels with 399 prisoners of war were sent to Havana.
left Guantanamo Bay 18 August 1898 with a contingent of Army
troops, landing them at Montauk Point, N. Y., 24 August. BADGER
remained on the east coast until 26 December 1898 when she
sailed to the Pacific, arriving at San Francisco 15 April 1899.
From there she carried the Joint High Commission to Samoa (26
April-13 May 1899) and then cruised in Samoan waters. Following
her return to Mare Island Navy Yard 14 August 1899, she cruised
along the Pacific coast until 6 October 1899 with the Oregon
and California Naval Militia.
Decommissioned 31 October 1899, BADGER
was transferred to the War Department 7 April 1900.
329 feet, 7 inches
48 feet, 3 inches
18 feet, 6 inches
six 5 inch guns
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster