California Naval History
California Naval Militia During the Earthquake and Fire of 1906
 
Immediately following the Earthquake of 1906, the First, Second, Third, Fourth, and Sixth Divisions, along with the USS Pinta and USS Marion Detachments of the Engineer Division, of the Naval Militia of California, were ordered to active duty by Captain George W. Bauer, N.M.C., Commander of the Naval Militia of California. These Units of the Naval Militia, assisted local police and other military units render all assistance as possible to the city's injured and needy persons, helping to establish relief stations, removing and protecting Government and State property, firefighting, and were responsible for patrolling and guarding areas within the city and waterfront of San Francisco.

The following reports give a brief look at the activities performed by the various units of the Naval Militia of California.
First Division, California Naval Militia, San Francisco, California
 
The First Division, Lieutenant John A. McGee, N.M.C., Commanding, together with the other Divisions of the Naval Militia of California resident in San Francisco, were on the morning of April 18, 1906, ordered by Captain George W. Bauer to report for duty immediately at their Armory, Jefferson Square Building, San Francisco, the first duty to which this Division was assigned was to assist local police and United States Regulars in providing relief for the injured and conveying them and the persons rendered homeless by the Earthquake, to places of safely. On April nineteenth the approach of the fire rendered it necessary to remove all property from the armory to Jefferson Square. Members also assisted in fighting the approaching flames. Headquarters and records destroyed by fire and on April twentieth Headquarters were established at Hayes and Octavia Streets, San Francisco. All Government and State property moved from Jefferson Square to that location.

District bounded by Buchanan, Larkin, Haight, and Golden Gate Avenue, patrolled and guards stationed in the district. April twenty-sixth headquarters moved to Laguna Honda School at Sixth Avenue and Jay Street, San Francisco. Helped to patrol the district bounded by Larkin, Union, Powell, Post, Stockton, Geary, Market Streets and Golden Gate Avenue until May nineteenth when headquarters were again moved to the USS MARION, San Francisco Harbor. From May nineteenth to May thirty-first the First Division patrolled the waterfront between Folsom and Spear Streets. The Division was relieved from active duty on May thirty-first.
Second Division, California Naval Militia, San Francisco, California
 
Second Division, Lieutenant Thomas S. Harloe, N.M.C., Commanding, was ordered by Captain Bauer to report for duty on the morning of April 18, 1906. Reported immediately at Armory, Jefferson Square Building, San Francisco. Assisted in establishing relief stations and conveying injured and homeless persons to places of safety. Army destroyed by fire April nineteenth. Helped remove Government and State property to Jefferson Square, April eighteenth headquarters established at: Hayes and Octavia Streets, San Francisco. Government and State property in possession of Naval Militia moved to new headquarters. Performed patrol and guard duty on Church Street to Douglas Street and twenty-third Street to Douglass Street and twenty-third Street to twenty-seventh Street until May first. On that date the Second Division was ordered on board the USS MARION, San Francisco Harbor. Patrolled water front between Folsom and Spear Streets until the Division was relieved from active duty May thirty-first.
Third Division, California Naval Militia, San Diego, California
 
Third Division, Lieutenant J. C. Hizar, N.M.C., Commanding, of San Diego left their home stations on April 23, 1906, in response to telegraphed orders from the Adjutant General. The Division reached San Francisco, April twenty-fifth and reported to Naval Militia Headquarters at Hayes and Octavia Streets, San Francisco. Performed guard and patrol duty in the district bounded Buchanan Street, Larkin Street, Haight Street and Golden Gate Avenue. The following day, April twenty-sixth, the command moved to Laguna Honda School at Sixth Avenue and J Streets, San Francisco. Performed guard and patrol duties. Assisted in establishing relief stations in the district lying between H and N Streets and extending from Stanyan Street to Ocean. Moved to new location May tenth at California and Mason Streets, San Francisco. Performed patrol and guard duties in the district bounded Powell, Post, Stockton, Geary, and Market Streets, Golden Gate Avenue and Larkin and Union Streets, until the seventeenth. Orders relieving the Third Division of further active duty were received May fifteenth at 11:00 P.M. Arrangements for breaking camp and for transaction were made and the Division left Oakland for their home station May seventeenth, arriving home the morning of May eighteenth.
Fourth Division, California Naval Militia, Santa Cruz, California
 
The Fourth Division, Lieutenant A. A. Morey, N.M.C., Commanding, of Santa Cruz was called for patrol duty by the Mayor of that city, April eighteenth, on account of partial destruction of the lighting system of Santa Cruz by the Earthquake. Performed duty there April 18, and 19, 1908. April twenty-first the Division was called for active duty in San Francisco by the Adjutant General. Arrived at San Francisco April twenty-second at 5:30 P.M. Reported at Hayes and Octavia Streets same evening. Slept in armory at 925 Golden Gate Avenue, San Francisco, April twenty-second. April twenty-third performed guard and patrol duty in the district bounded by Buchanan, Larkin, and Haight Streets, and Golden Gate Avenue. Camped that night on Hayes Street between Octavia and Gough Streets, April twenty-fourth moved to Laguna Honda School at Sixth Avenue and J Street. Performed guard and patrol duty in the district between H and N Streets, extending from Stanyan Street to the Ocean until May tenth. On that day moved to California and Mason Streets, San Francisco. Performed patrol and guard duty in the Nob Hill District until relieved from duty May 19, 1906. Arrived at home station and dismissed May twentieth.
Sixth Division, California Naval Militia, Santa Barbara, California
 
The Sixth Division, Lieutenant A. L. Caldwell, N.M.C., Commanding, of Santa Barbara left its home station for San Francisco April twenty-third. Arrived at San Francisco and reported at Naval Militia Headquarters April 25, 1906. Stationed at Hayes and Octavia Streets, San Francisco. Performed guard and patrol duty in the district bounded by Buchanan, Larkin and Haight Streets and Golden Gate Avenue. Moved to new station at Sixth Avenue and J Street (Laguna Honda School) San Francisco. May twenty-sixth. At this location the command performed guard and patrol duty in the district lying between H and N Street and from Stanyan Street west to the Ocean. On May tenth the Division was transferred to California and Mason Streets, San Francisco. Performed guard and patrol duty in the Nob Hill district until May seventeenth, when the Division was relieved from active duty and returned to its home station.
Engineer Division, USS Pinta Detachment, California Naval Militia, Los Angeles, California
 
The Pinta Detachment of the Engineer Division of the Naval Militia, Lieutenant Junior Grade Alonzo H. Woodbine, N.M.C., Commanding, received orders April 23, 1906, to muster the command and proceed at once to San Francisco. The Division left Los Angeles April twenty-fourth at 8:55 A.M. and reached San Francisco April twenty-fifth at 11:30 A.M. Went into camp immediately at: Hayes and Octavia Streets, San Francisco. The Division performed no field service while at this station. The following day while April twenty-sixth the camp was moved to: Sixth Avenue and J Street (Laguna Honda School), San Francisco. At this location, the Detachment assisted the other Divisions of the Naval Militia in guard and patrol duty on the district west of Stanyan Street, between H and N. The Detachment was again transferred on May tenth and from that date until May seventeenth was stationed at: California and Mason Streets, San Francisco. Performed guard and patrol duty in the district bounded by Larkin Street, Union Street, Powell Street, Post Street, Stockton Street, Geary Street, Market Street, and Golden Gate Avenue. The Detachment was relieved from active duty, May seventeenth and arrived at their home station May eighteenth.
Engineer Division, USS Marion Detachment, California Naval Militia, San Francisco, California
 
USS Marion Detachment of the Engineer Division, Lieutenant William Speck, N.M.C., Commanding, pursuant to orders from Captain Bauer, Commander of the Naval Militia of California, the USS Marion Detachment of the Engineer Division reported for duty at: Twenty-fifth and Noe Streets, San Francisco. Proceeded immediately to render all assistance possible to injured and needy persons. Helped establish various relief stations. Assisted in removing Government and State property from N.M.C. Armory to Jefferson Square. Headquarters established at: Hayes and Octavia Streets, San Francisco, April 20, 1906. Moved Government and State Property from Jefferson Square to place of safety. Assisted in patrolling the district bounded by Buchanan Street, Larkin Street, Haight Street, and Golden Gate Avenue. Detachment at twenty-fifth and Noe Streets. On April twenty-sixth station was moved to the Sunset District at: Laguna Honda School, Sixth Avenue and J Street. While at this station, the Detachment patrolled the district bounded by H Street, Stanyan Street, N Street, and the Pacific Ocean. On May tenth Headquarters were moved to: California and Mason Streets, San Francisco. This Detachment was stationed at that point performing guard and patrol duty in the Nob Hill District, San Francisco until May nineteenth, on which date they were ordered on board the USS Marion, San Francisco Harbor. From this station the Detachment assisted in patrolling the San Francisco waterfront from Folsom Street to Spear Street. The Detachment was relieved from active duty May thirty-first.

References
 
Report Capt. George W. Bauer, Naval Militia, Nov. 6, 1906, p. 1, Adjutant General Files
General Order #1, April 18, 1906. Headquarters, Naval Militia, Adjutant General Files
General Order #3, B., April 25, 1906. Headquarters, Naval Militia, Adjutant General Files
General Order #12, May 10, 1906. Headquarters, Naval Militia, Adjutant General Files
General Order #16, May 19, 1906. Headquarters, Naval Militia, Adjutant General Files
Field Order #9, pp. 60-61, par. 1 and 2, Adjutant General Report 1906.
Field Order #12, p. 62, par. 2, Adjutant General Report 1906.
Field Order #16, p. 63, par. 1, Adjutant General Report 1906.
Report Second Division, Naval Militia, 1906, Adjutant General Files
Report Lieut. J. C. Hizar, Third Division, Naval Militia, June 1, 1906, Adjutant General Files
Return Fourth Division, Naval Militia, April 1906, Adjutant General Files
Report Lt. A. A. Morey, Fourth Division, Naval Militia, 1906, Adjutant General Files
Return Sixth Division, Naval Militia, April 1906, Adjutant General Files
Report Lieut. Alonzo H. Woodbine, Naval Militia, May 28, 1906, Adjutant General Files
 
 
 
Search our Site!
Google
Search the Web Search California Military History Online
 
Questions and comments concerning this site should be directed to the Webmaster
 
Updated 8 February 2016