Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields
Camp La Mesa
of Operations type barracks at Camp La Mesa
The property was obtained by the Army
under authorization dated 10 April 1942 as follows: 4,477.88
acres by lease from 10 separate owners; 38.95 acres by permit
from Albert Otto Wallenbom, et al; and 0.303 acres by license
from Stuart Haldom and Enid Haldorn. Total acreage acquired was
The site was used as a training facility during World War II.
The Army took control of the water supply and made other improvements
in the early 1940's. Over the next five years, the Army built
156 barracks, a theater, and a sewer system for the 140th Infantry
Regiment (a Feralized Missouri National Guard unit) stationed
at the camp. In 1944-45, the camp was under U.S. Navy jurisdiction
and housed the Naval Retraining Command, San Diego for an undetermined
period of time.
The property was disposed of as follows: 35.0 lease acres canceled
18 November 1944; 1050.46 lease acres cancelled 24 November 1944;
2257.99 lease acres cancelled 15 March 1945; 38.95 permit acres
cancelled 24 November 1944; 0.303 license acre was cancelled
1 January 1945; 706.92 lease acres were transferred to the Navy
Department on 15 August 1944; and 427.51 lease acres were transferred
to the Navy on 30 August 1944. No records are available for disposal
from Navy to present users. Since use by the Navy, the subject
site has been heavily developed beneficially for recreational,
commercial, residential, educational, and industrial purposes.
The site is currently owned by thousands of private owners. Total
disposal was 4,517.133 acres.
T-16 Marmon Herrington
light tanks at Camp La Mesa
Source: Los Angeles District,
US Army Corps of Engineers