This company was organized in 1879 and was named after the Irish patriot. It was an independent company, receiving no money from the state. In order to purchase arms and uniforms it gave social parties, the first of these being given in the Turnverein hall. J. J. Nunan, first lieutenant of the Stockton Guards, was elected captain of the new company, which eventually become Company B of the National Guards. Captain Nunan found the Irish boys full of life and bubbling over at times with native wit and action, but he soon succeeded in disciplining the Emmets and perfecting them in the manual of arms. In token of their esteem in May, 1885, they presented him with a costly sword and belt, Congressman James H. Budd making the presentation speech. A few years later they gave him a beautiful watch. In September of that year the company held its first public dress parade on the grounds in front of the new asylum.
Preceded by a band, the soldiers marched
to the grounds and, pitching their tents, named it Camp Hadley
after Brigadier-General Hadley. After inspection drill and parade,
they returned to the armory, where Father O'Connor, in a nicely
worded speech, presented them with free tickets to an entertainment
held that evening in the hall by the Catholic ladies.