- Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
- Fort Point of
- (Fort Cape of
- A redoubt built by the Spaniards before
Mexico gained its independence, it was located on Point Pinos
in what is now Pacific Grove, a city about two miles southwest
of Monterey. In 1842 Eugene Duflot de Mofras drew his "Map
of the Port of Monterey" and included the small redoubt.
He wrote of "a small battery near Point Pinos, but few traces
of this now remains." Americans, for many years, called
this Spanish post Fort Cape of Pines, a misnomer.