Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
by Robert B. Roberts
In response to urgent requests for the
stationing of troops on the Round Valley and Mendocino reservations,
for the purpose of protecting property from Indian depredations
and to protect the Indians from retaliations, 1st Lieutenant
William P. Carlin, 6th Infantry Regiment, with Company D, left
Benicia Barracks on December 13, 1858, under orders to establish
a post at or near the Nome Cult Indian Reservation in Round Valley,
Mendocino County. Established on January 3, 1859, on the east
bank of the Russian River, 50 miles from Cloverdale, in the Redwood
Valley, the post was named for John B. Weller, Governor of Califomia.
The post was abandoned in October of the same year.
from Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer,
and Trading Posts of the United States
by Justin Ruhge
Fort Weller was the successor to Fort
Vose. It was established in response to requests for troops to
be stationed on the Round Valley and Mendocino Reservations to
protect the settlers from Native American attacks and to protect
the Native Americans from retaliation.
To establish this Fort, First Lieutenant
William P. Carlin, 6th Infantry, with Company D, left Benecia
Barracks on December 13, 1858 under orders to establish a post
at the Nome Cult Indian Reservation in Round Valley, Mendocino
The post was established on January 3,
1859 on the east bank of the Russian River in the Redwood Valley.
The post was named for John B. Weller, then Governor of California.
The post was manned until October 1859
when it was abandoned.