Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
San Francisco Port of Embarkation
Between 3 June and 14 July 1942 the War Department
acquired 12.26 acres of land, including portions of San Francisco
City streets for the establishment of a railcar classification
and storage yard that supported activities of the San Francisco
Port of Embarkation. It primarily supported the docks located
between the San Francisco Ferry Building and the Golden Gate
Documentation indicated that this was a storage and classification
site in which railcars were sorted and stored until they were
moved to the piers or other rail terminals. There were no maintenance
facilities for engines. Other than rails and switching equipment,
the only structures built were two small offices, a tool shed,
and a latrine. These were wood frame buildings that were heated
by natural gas provided by Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E).
With the end of World War II, the need for the yard ceased and
accountability was assumed by the War Assets Administration (WAA)
on 15 September 1946. On 9 April 1947, the WAA issued a contract
for the removal of all railroad track, ballast, and equipment.
All structures were also removed. Between 1 July and 17 October
1947, the Site was quitclaimed to the City and County of San
Francisco, PG&E, and several private individuals.
Facility Name or Function
Wood Framed 10'4"x18'4"
Wood Framed 10'x13'
Wood Framed 9'x12`
Wood Framed 7'x10'
The site was redeveloped into commercial
and industrial property and currently is the home of several
light industrial and commercial properties as well as a bus yard
for the City and County of San Francisco.
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster