Lineages and Honors of the California National Guard
144th Field Artillery Regiment


Organized 3 August 1917 in the California National Guard at Santa Barbara as Battery C, 2d Field Artillery Regiment
 
Drafted into Federal service 5 August 1917
 
Reorganized and redesignated 24 September 1917 as Battery C, 144th Field Artillery, an element of the 40th Division
 
Demobilized 29 January 1919 at San Francisco
 
Reorganized and Federally recognized 27 May 1930 in the California National Guard at Santa Barbara as Battery E, 143d Field Artillery
 
Redesignated 14 April 1936 as Battery C, 196th Field Artillery
 
Expanded, reorganized, and redesignated 1 July 1936 as the 2d Battalion, 144th Field Artillery
 
Expanded, reorganized, and redesignated 21 August 1940 as the 144th Field Artillery, with Headquarters at Santa Barbara
 
Inducted into Federal service 3 February 1941 at Santa Barbara
 
Regiment broken up 8 February 1943 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows:
Headquarters and Headquarters Battery as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 144th Field Artillery Group Inactivated 23 April 1946 in Europe
 
2d Battalion as the 981st Field Artillery Battalion Inactivated 28 November 1945 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey (1st Battalion as the 980th Field Artillery Battalion - hereafter separate lineage)

 

 
Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 144th Field Artillery Group, and the 981st Field Artillery Battalion consolidated 25 June 1946; consolidated unit designated as the 981st Field Artillery Battalion and assigned to the 40th Infantry Division
 
Reorganized and Federally recognized 17 December 1946 with Headquarters at Santa Barbara
 
Ordered into active Federal service 1 September 1950 home stations
 
(981st Field Artillery Battalion [NGUS] organized and Federally recognized 2 September 1952 with Headquarters at Santa Barbara)
 
Released 30 June 1954 from active Federal service and reverted to state control; Federal recognition concurrently withdrawn from the 981st Field Artillery Battalion (NGUS)
 
Reorganized and redesignated 1 July 1954 as the 225th Armored Field Artillery Battalion, an element of the 40th Armored Division
 
Consolidated 1 July 1959 with the 143d (see ANNEX 1), 214th (see ANNEX 2), and 215th (see ANNEX 3) Armored Field Artillery Battalions and consolidated unit reorganized and redesignated as the 144th Artillery, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st Rocket Howitzer Battalion and the 2d, 3d, and 4th Howitzer Battalions, elements of the 40th Armored Division
 
Reorganized 1 March 1963 to consist of the 1st, 2d, 3d, 4th, and 5th Battalions, elements of the 40th Armored Division
 
Reorganized 29 January 1968 to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 40th Armored Brigade; the 2d Battalion; and the 3d Battalion, an element of the 40th Infantry Brigade
Redesignated 1 May 1972 as the 144th Field Artillery
 
Reorganized 13 January 1974 to consist of the 1st, 2d, and 3d Battalions, elements of the 40th Infantry Division
 
Reorganized 1 December 1976 to consist of the 1st, 2d, and 3d Battalions and Battery F, elements of the 40th Infantry Division
 
Withdrawn 19 January 1988 from the Combat Arms Regimental System and reorganized under the United States Army Regimental System
 
(1st, 2d, and 3d Battalions ordered into active Federal service 1 May 1992 at home stations; released 9 May 1992 from active Federal service and reverted to state control)
Reorganized 1 December 1993 to consist of the 2d and 3d Battalions and Batteries D and F, elements of the 40th Infantry Division
 
Annex 1

Constituted 5 August 1946 in the California National Guard as the 143d Field Artillery Battalion and assigned to the 40th Infantry Division
 
Organized and Federally recognized 22 May 1947 with Headquarters at Santa Monica
 
Ordered into active Federal service 1 September 1950 at home stations
 
(143d Field Artillery Battalion [NGUS] organized and Federally recognized 2 September 1952 with Headquarters at Culver City; location of Headquarters changed 6 October 1953 to Santa Monica)
 
Released 30 June 1954 from active Federal service and reverted to state control; Federal recognition concurrently withdrawn from the 143d Field Artillery Battalion (NGUS)
 
Reorganized and redesignated 1 July 1954 as the 143d Armored Field Artillery Battalion, an element of the 40th Armored Division
 
Annex 2

Constituted 5 August 1946 in the California National Guard as the 625th Field Artillery Battalion and assigned to the 40th Infantry Division
 
Organized and Federally recognized 18 June 1947 with Headquarters at Burbank
 
(Location of Headquarters changed 1 June 1950 to Van Nuys)
 
Ordered into active Federal service 1 September 1950 at home stations
 
(625th Field Artillery Battalion [NGUS] organized and Federally recognized 2 September 1952 with Headquarters at Van Nuys)
 
Released 30 June 1954 from active Federal service and reverted to state control; Federal recognition concurrently withdrawn from the 625th Field Artillery Battalion (NGUS)
 
Reorganized and redesignated 1 July 1954 as the 214th Armored Field Artillery Battalion, an element of the 40th Armored Division
 
Annex 3

Constituted 5 August 1946 in the California National Guard as the 980th Field Artillery Battalion and assigned to the 40th Infantry Division
 
Organized and Federally recognized 22 April 1947 with Headquarters at Arcadia
 
Ordered into active Federal service 1 September 1950 at home stations
 
(980th Field Artillery Battalion [NGUS] organized and Federally recognized 2 September 1952 with Headquarters at Arcadia)
 
Released 30 June 1954 from active Federal service and reverted to state control; Federal recognition concurrently withdrawn from the 980th Field Artillery Battalion (NGUS)
 
Reorganized and redesignated 1 July 1954 as the 215th Armored Field Artillery Battalion, an element of the 40th Armored Division
 
 
Campaign Participation Credit
World War I
Streamer without inscription
World War II
Normandy
Northern France
Rhineland
Ardennes-Alsace
Central Europe
Korean War
Second Korean Winter
Korea, Summer-Fall 1952
Third Korean Winter
Korea, Summer 1953
 
Battery C (Sylmar), 3d Battalion, additionally entitled to:
World War II
Bismarck Archipelago
Luzon (with arrowhead)
Southern Philippines
 
 
Decorations
 
Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation, Streamer embroidered KOREA
 
2d Battalion (Headquarters at Burbank) additionally entitled to: Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation, Streamer embroidered KOREA 1952-1953
 
Battery C (Sylmar), 3d Battalion, additionally entitled to: Philippine Presidential Unit Citation, Streamer embroidered 17 OCTOBER 1944 TO 4 JULY 1945
 
Service Battery (Van Nuys), 3d Battalion, additionally entitled to: Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation, Streamer embroidered KOREA 1952-1953
 
 
BY ORDER OF THE SECRETARY OF THE ARMY:

 

 

 

 

16 June 1975

 

 
 
 
 
Search our Site!
Google
Search the Web Search California Military History Online
 
Questions and comments concerning this site should be directed to the Webmaster
 
Updated 8 February 2016