Lineages and Honors of the California National Guard
970th Military Police Company
 

Organized 28 July 1909 in the California National Guard at San Francisco as the 7th Company, 1st Coast Defense Command, Coast Artillery Corps

Drafted into Federal service 5 August 1917

Reorganized and redesignated 31 August 1917 as the 27th Company, Coast Defenses of San Francisco

Reorganized and redesignated 25 October 1918 as Battery D, 18th Artillery (Coast Artillery Corps)

Redesignated 2 December 1918 as the 27th Company, Coast Defenses of San Francisco

Demobilized in September 1919 at Fort Winfield Scott, California

Reorganized and Federally recognized 7 May 1924 in the California National Guard at San Francisco as Battery M, 250th Coast Artillery

Redesignated 1 November 1924 as Battery F, 250th Coast Artillery

Inducted into Federal service 16 September 1940 at San Francisco

Converted and redesignated 18 May 1944 as Battery B, 527th Field Artillery Battalion

Inactivated 24 September 1945 in Italy

Reorganized and Federally recognized 5 April 1948 at San Francisco as Battery C, 271st Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion

Reorganized and redesignated 1 January 1951 as Battery C, 271st Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion

Redesignated 1 October 1953 as Battery C, 271st Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion

Reorganized and redesignated 1 March 1958 as Battery C, 271st Missile Battalion

Location changed 1 May 1958 to Daly City

Reorganized and redesignated 1 May 1959 as Battery C, 2d Missile Battalion, 250th Artillery

Consolidated 1 March 1963 with Company D, 1st Battle Group, 159th Infantry (see ANNEX 1), and consolidated unit reorganized and redesignated as Company A, 1st Battalion, 159th Infantry, an
element of the 49th Infantry Division; location concurrently changed to San Francisco

Consolidated 29 January 1968 with Company C, 1st Battalion, 159th Infantry (see ANNEX 1), and consolidated unit designated as Company A, 1st Battalion, 159th Infantry; concurrently relieved
from assignment to the 49th Infantry Division

Converted and redesignated 13 January 1974 as the 970th Military Police Company (less Detachment 1 at San Mateo)

Location changed 1 Sepember 1975 to San Mateo

Consolidated 1 November 1991 with Detachment 1, 970th Military Police Company (see ANNEX 2), and consolidated unit designated as the 970th Military Police Company

Ordered into active Federal service 2 May 1992 at San Mateo; released 9 May 1992 from active Federal service and reverted to state control

Annex 1

Organized and Federally recognized in the California National Guard at San Francisco as elements of the 3d Battalion, 159th Infantry, an element of the 40th Division, as follows:
Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 3d Battalion, on 13 June 1922

Company K on 28 March 1922
Company L on 4 April 1922
Company M on 28 March 1922

Inducted into Federal service 3 March 1941 at home stations (159th Infantry relieved 29 October 1941 from assignment to the 40th Division and assigned to the 7th Division [later redesignated as the 7th Infantry Division]; relieved 23 August 1943 from assignment to the 7th Infantry Division)

Inactivated 4 November 1945 at Camp Shanks, New York

(159th Infantry assigned 5 August 1946 to the 49th Infantry Division)

Reorganized and Federally recognized at San Francisco as follows:

Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 3d Battalion, and Companies K and L on 19 March 1947
Company M on 23 April 1947

(Company L changed location 1 May 1955 to Daly City)

Reorganized and redesignated 1 May 1959 as elements of the 1st Battle Group, 159th Infantry, as follows:

Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 3d Battalion, and Company K consolidated to form Company C

Company L as Company D
Company M as Company E

Companies C and E, 1st Battle Group, 159th Infantry, consolidated 1 March 1963 to form Company C, 1st Battalion, 159th Infantry

Annex 2

Organized 19 May 1949 in the California Army National Guard at Fairfax as Company D, 579th Engineer Battalion, an element of the 49th Infantry Division

Location changed 1 October 1959 to San Rafael

Redesignated 1 March 1963 as Company E, 579th Engineer Battalion

Redesignated 29 January 1968 as Company D, 579th Engineer Battalion

Redesignated 13 January 1974 as Company D, 132d Engineer Battalion, an element of the 40th Infantry Division

Reorganized and redesignated 1 November 1976 as Detachment 1, Company C, 579th Engineer Battalion, an element of the 49th Infantry Division

Redesignated 1 October 1981 as Detachment 1, Company D, 579th Engineer Battalion

Converted and redesignated 1 August 1986 as Detachment 1, 970th Military Police Company, and relieved from assignment to the 49th Infantry Division

HOME STATION: San Mateo


 
 
 
 
Campaign Participation Credit
 
World War II - Asiatic Pacific
Aleutian Islands
World War II - Europe, Africa and Middle East
North Apennines
Po Valley
 
Decorations
 
None

 

 
 
 
 
Search our Site!
Google
Search the Web Search California Military History Online
 
Questions and comments concerning this site should be directed to the Webmaster
 
Updated 8 February 2016