Historic California Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields
Marine Corps Supply Forwarding Annex, Islais Creek
(Marine Corps Depot of Supplies, Islais Creek)
US Army Corps of Engineers Sacramento District History (1993)

West of the main line of the Southern Pacific (now Union Pacific) Railroad, north of Kirkwood Avenue and east of Toland Street in San Francisco..

Site History: The 94.87 acres of land which comprises the Marine Corps Supply Forward Annex (MCSFA) Islais Creek was initially acquired by lease during the early years of WWII. On October 15, 1945, the Assistant Secretary of the Navy requested the Attorney General institute condemnation proceedings to acquire 94.87 acres of land in the City and County of San Francisco for use in connection with the U.S. Marine Corps Depot of Supplies, Islais Creek. An order for immediate possession was entered on October 25, 1945.
MCSFA Islais Creek was used as a storage depot for motor transport engineering, ordnance utility, signal supply divisions, and repairs of Marine Corps supplies. Construction began in December 1942 and was completed in June 1943. A map of the MCSFA Islais Creek dated June 30, 1947 identified the following site improvements: woodworking factory, fire house, sheds, offices, storehouses, washrack shed, utilities shops, gas station, garage, cafeteria, paved open storage areas, and a lumber yard. Additional improvements at the site included a loading ramp, a security fence, Southern Pacific Railroad Company and Western Pacific Railroad connections, an incinerator, underground gas lines, and electrical distribution lines. Water, electricity, and sewage were connected to the San Francisco system. On January 1, 1948, a total of 792 personnel were employed at the MCSFA Islais Creek.
The U.S. Department of the Navy made surplus 77 acres of land and buildings at MCSFA Islais Creek to the GSA for disposal on January 1, 1961. At the time the 77 acres were made surplus, the Department of the Navy retained 13 acres, including Buildings 417, 418, and 428, for use of the San Francisco Naval Shipyard. The remaining 4.87 acres could not be accounted for in the documents reviewed.
Search our Site!
Search the Web Search California Military History Online
Questions and comments concerning this site should be directed to the Webmaster
Updated 8 February 2016