Posts, Camps, Stations and Airfields
Mission de la Purísima
Concepción de María Santísima
A Spanish mission guard was posted here for a time (1787-1821)
after Father Fermin Francisco de Lasuén established the
new mission. After the 1812 earthquake, the mission was rebuilt
at a new site. Ruins remain at the original site, located near
Locust Avenue between "E" and "G" Streets.
The second site is now a state park, located at 2295 Purisima
Road, about two miles northeast of town. The new mission was
restored in the 1930's, including the Soldiers' Barracks and
Mess Hall (1816). The complex is considered to be the most completely
restored of any California mission.
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster