Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Naval Weapons Industrial Reserve
(Torrance Aluminum Plant)
US Army Corps of Engineers Los Angeles
District History (1999)
Name: Torrance Aluminum Plant; also Plancor 226-LA; Aluminum
Company of America Plant; Alcoa Plant; Naval Weapons Industrial
Reserve Plant, DOD 450; and Douglas Aircraft Company, C6 Facility.
site is located in the Harbor Gateway District of the City of
Los Angeles, at the southwest corner of the 190th Street and
Normandie Avenue intersection. The property is adjacent to the
City of Torrance and has a Torrance address.
Site History: The Navy acquired
170.77 acres and an aluminum reduction plant from Columbia Steel
Company in March 1952. The subject property was originally acquired
by the Defense Plant Corporation (Plancor) in 1941. Plancor constructed
the Torrance Aluminum Plant (Plancor LA-226) on the site in 1942
which was operated by the Aluminum Company of America (ALCOA).
Plancor sold the site to Columbia Steel Company in 1948. Columbia
Steel Company was unable to use the plant as anticipated, and
in 1952 sold it to the Navy.
Under Navy ownership the facility became
the Naval Weapons Industrial Reserve Plant which was leased to
Douglas Aircraft Company (Douglas). Douglas converted and modernized
the plant, and installed machine tools and equipment to manufacture
aircraft components, and military hardware. In 1970, General
Services Administration, serving as agent to the Navy, sold the
170.77-acre site to Douglas. Douglas, which later became McDonnell
Douglas Corporation, used all facilities beneficially and continued
to manufacture commercial and military aircraft components until
Improvements currently existing on the site that were present
during possession by the Navy include six primary buildings.
McDonnell Douglas Corporation through the McDonnell Douglas Realty
Company began a phased demolition and redevelopment of the site
in 1996. On 1 August 1997, McDonnell Douglas Realty Company became
a subsidiary of The Boeing Company and is now known as the Boeing
Facilities on 98 acres of the site have been demolished as of
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster