Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Naval Industrial Reserve Repair
(Naval Reserve Armory, Oakland)
US Army Corps of Engineers Los Angeles
District History (1999)
Site Name: The site was known as Hurley Marine Works,
Inc. (Hurley). Hurley occupied the site beginning in 1940 through
a lease with the Port of Oakland (the Port). In 1951, Crowley
Maritime Corporation (Crowley) operated at the site. Its subsidiary,
Pacific Dry Dock and Repair Company (Pacific Dry Dock) operated
at the site from 1964 until 1991. The site is now known as Pacific
Dry Dock Yard 11.
Location: The Naval Industrial
Reserve Repair Facility (NIR) was located in Alameda County,
California approximately five miles southeast of the City of
Oakland, on the Port waterfront in the San Francisco Bay, in
an area known as the Inner Oakland Harbor (Figure 1). Its map
coordinates are latitude 37" 47' west and longitude 122"
16' north. Lake Memtt flows into the bay and is northeast of
the site. The Lake Memtt Channel separates the site from Estuary
Park, which is adjacent to the site on the west side. This site
location is listed on hstoric documents as 321 Embarcadero.
Site History: The United States
entered into Contract NObs-723 for Ship Repair Facilities with
Hurley on February 17, 1943. The contract was for 2.0 acres ofthe
existing Hurley facility. The contract also set forth terms for
a lease with the City of Oakland for a marine railway. This property
is assumed to be east of the eventual position of the NIR because
it is referred to as being at the foot of Fifth Avenue, and the
address for the NIR is west of Fifth Avenue, at 32 1 Embarcadero.
Hurley had a lease with the Port for its ship repair facilities
commencing in 1940.
Amendment No. 4 to Contract NObs-723,
dated June 12,1944, proposed additions to the existing repair
yard for supporting installations for the future assignment of
a 2,800 ton Navy owned Auxiliary Floating Drydock, Light (AFDL).
A November 1945 completion report lists construction of a warehouse
and locker building, service shops and an office building, a
powerhouse, plate shop, paint shop, cafeteria, two fingerpiers,
and accommodations for a 2,800 ton AFDL. The area of Navy expansion
is depicted on a diagram titled, "Contract NObs-723 Plot
Plan, Hurley Marine Works" (Figure 2). The report includes
detailed descriptions of the buildings and the electrical distribution
system, and includes photographs of the area; however, the report
does not provide acreage for the new facility nor does it identify
specific activities which tookplace at the facility. Figure 3
provides apictorial view of the NIR Repair Facility at Hurley.
Two maps outline proposed and actual
changes in relation to the expansion of the ship repair facility.
The first is dated April 5,1944 and is titled, 'Xurley Marine
Works, Extension to Plant Plan Showing Property to be Leased
by U.S. Navy for Proposed Ship Repair Facility"; the second
is dated January 9, 1947 and is titled, "Naval Reserve Armory
(Hurley Marine Works), Plot Plan 7". The second map depicts
the facility as is appeared up until 1998, when the buildings
were demolished by the Port.
A Sanbom Map depicts the property in 1942 and includes buildings
which were demolished as part of the expansion program detailed
in the 1945 Completion Report. A May 1945 newsletter called "The
Hurley Marinews", discusses the expansion program and
provides a photograph of two of the Navy buildings. An undated
Report of Lease Cancellations discusses 19.4 acres at Hurley,
and references Amendment No.4 to Contract NObs-723. The document
outlines costs associated with demolition of old buildings and
construction of new structures at the Hurley facility.
After World War I1the US. Navy
Port Director, U.S. Naval Base, San Francisco discussed the Port
director's need for berthing of ships at the Government-owned
piers at Hurley through 1947. Amendment No. 6 to Contract NObs-723,
dated June 13, 1946 from the Navy Department to Hurley states
that aportion of the facility outlined in the contract will be
"used and occupied by the Commander, San Francisco Naval
Shipyard. ...for use by him for various purposes in connection
with decommissioning Naval vessels". The contract was also
amended to include the 2,800 ton AFDL and "certain other
Government-owned facilities which have heretofore been finished
to you for your use". An August 16,1946 memorandum states
that "BuShps'' is declaring the Hurley facilities surplus
in the immediate future and that the area is desired for the
establishment of a Naval Reserve Armory and Training Ship Berthing
A March 4,1948 memorandum discusses
disposition of facilities under Contract NObs(R)-723, the termination
of Leases NOy(R)-39453 and NOy(R)-3 1665, and modification of
Lease NOy(R)-41805. This document states that the officer in
charge of the U.S. Naval Reserve Armory wished to make the cafeteria
building, which was subject to Lease NOy(R)-39453, part ofthe
modification to Lease NOy(R)-41805, and the Port agreed to the
transfer. On April 16,1948 Leases NOy(R)-39453 and NOy(R)-3 1665,
which were used in connection with Hurley Contract NObs-723,
were terminated with the Port. Subsequent to termination of these
leases Naval Reserve Armory Lease NOy(R)-41805 was modified for
the right by the Government to recapture use of the marine railway,
and for inclusion of the cafeteria building located on the premises
covered by Lease NOy(R)-39453. On June 8,1948 the Facilities
Review Board approved the cancellation of the leases and modification
of Lease NOy(R)-41805 as proposed.
Termination of the NIR Repair Facility
under Lease NOy(R)-41805 and transfer of Navy-owned equipment
to the Port subject to recapture by the Government until June
30, 1965 was discussed in correspondence dated July 19,1955 from
the District Public Works Office, Twelfth Naval District to the
Port. The correspondence further stated that Martinolich leased
Drydock AFDL-38 from the Navy under Lease NOy-23239 beginning
in 1955, and that this lease was to be extended until January
18, 1966. Upon expiration of Lease NOy-23239 on April 19,1961,
Lease NObs-4397 commenced between the Navy and Martinolich for
lease of the AFDL-38. An Annual Inspection Summary for the AFDL-38
dated April 1964 indicates that Martinolich renewed Lease NObs-4397
for an undetermined period of time.
The U.S. Naval Ordnance Supply
Office, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, produced a document in 1955
titled,"Ammunition Allowance List for Auxiliary Floating
Drydocks, Light (AFDL)" which outlines ordnance loads
for AFDLs in war and peace time. According to Clinton Huckins,
an ordnance expert with the US Army Corps of Engineers, the ammunition
allowance list does not meanthat ordnance was stored at the docks,
it simply gives permission to store ordnance (Huckins, June 14,1999).
No evidence was found to indicate that ordnance was stored at
On January 7,1960 an appraisal
of the NIR was made for the General Services Administration.
The appraisal states that the address of the NIR is 321 Embarcadero,
consisting of 2.7 acres. Detailed descriptions of the finger
pier closest to the Lake Merritt Channel and Buildings 1 and
2 (for purposes of this report these buildings are G-301 and
G-302, respectively, see Figure 4) are provided as well as photographs.
The zoning for the area was classified as heavy industrial. An
additional appraisal report was prepared for the NIR on April
10,1962 and provides detailed information and photographs of
the same features included in the 1960 appraisal and states that
the "ground lease of the U.S. Government with the Port expires
on June 30, 1965".
The Office of Emergency Services
in Oakland provided documentation regarding recent activities
at 321 Embarcadero. A Master File Record completed by Pacific
Dry Dock and Repair Company (Pacific Dry Dock) on June 19,1985
for the AlamedaCounty Health Care Services states that Pacific
Dry Dock began operations at the site on July 14,1964. An August
13, 1991 letter from Crowley Maritime Corporation (Crowley),
parent corporation of Pacific Dry Dock, to the Alameda County
Health Care Services Agency gives notification that Pacific Dry
Dock and Repair closed its operations (on the site) on May 17,1991.
According to a report prepared by the Port in 1997, Crowley performed
vessel maintenance at the site from 1951 until 1992 and that
prior to 1951 the Navy operated a marine terminal at the site.
There is no indcation that the Government continued to operate
at the site through Crowley. A 1997 letter fkom the Port to the
Regional Water Quality Control Board states that "the United
States Navy leased the property fkom the City of Oakland and
occupied it from 1942 to 1951 and subleased the property fkom
1951 to 1962. Since 1963 the site has been operated by Crowley".
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster