Historic California Posts, Camps,
Stations and Airfields
Naval Outlying Field, Miramar
(Linda Vista Mesa Auxiliary Field,
In 1941 the Navy acquired 170.88 acres
by condemnation from the San Diego County Water Agency. In 1942,
the Navy acquired 43.11 acres by condemnation from a private
entity. The total
acquisition was 213.99 acres.
This airfield should not be confused with
The Navy built and used this site as an auxiliary airfield and
emergency landing strip for NAS Miramar. Practice bombing was
also conducted at this airfield using practice bombs equipped
with spotting charges. The property was also used for storing
surplus buildings for an unknown amount of time. The only known
improvements made on the property consisted of an asphalt surface
of approximately 65 acres and some fencing.
There was also a bombing target immediately
adjacent to the to the north of the field.
The Navy retained the property until 2.9 August 1961 when 170.88
acres were quitclaimed to the San Diego School District.In 1962,
the remaining 43.11 acres were auctioned off to a private developer
who built two mobilehome parks, which still remain. The school
district has built a middle school, elementary school, and a