Historic California Militia and
National Guard Units
Sumner Light Guard
(Sumner Home Guard)
Drill notice dated
9 July 1867
Sumner Home Guard, Company I, 1st Infantry
Regiment, 2nd Brigade, California Militia (CM)
After 1863. Sumner Light Guard, Company
E, 1st Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade, CM
Date of Organization: October 14, 1861
Date of Disbanding: 1885
Inclusive dates of units papers: 1861-1885
Geographical Location or Locations: San Francisco City &
Verein Hall, 620 Bush Street
file at the California State Archives:
a. Organization Papers none
b. Bonds 3 documents (1861-1866)
c. Correspondence (Unclassified letters) 83 documents (1861-1884)
d. Election Returns 40 documents (1861-1883)
e. Exempt Certificates, Applications for 5 documents (1871-1883)
f. Muster Rolls, Monthly returns 113 documents (1861-1885)
g. Oaths Qualifications 308 documents (1861-1884)
h. Orders none
i. Receipts, invoices 32 documents (1862-1885)
j. Requisitions 25 documents (1861-1880)
k. Resignations 16 documents (1867-1883)
l. Target Practice Reports 19 documents (1866-1884)
Finance Reports, 4 documents (1866-1867)
Public Property, 3 documents (1868-1871)
Report of Inspection, 1 document (1885)
Certificate of Commission, 1 document (1881)
Thomas B. Ludlum, Captain: Elected 13
October 1861, commissioned 18 October 1861, Reelected 6 October
S. Barker, First Lieutenant: 14 October
1861, commissioned 18 October 1861
Abraham Moyer, First Lieutenant: 6 October
1862, commissioned 15 October 1862, 1863
Abram Moyer, Captain: Elected and commissioned
3 October 1864, reelected 25 March 1867
Rufus W. Thompson, First Lieutenant: Elected
and commissioned 3 October 1864
Charles H. Daly, First Lieutenant: 25
March 1867, commissioned 6 June 1867
Charles H. Daly, Captain: Elected 25 March
1868, commissioned 20 April 1868, resigned 3 March 1869
William J. Younger, First Lieutenant:
Elected 13 April 1868, commissioned 20 April 1868
Oscar Wood hams, Captain: Elected 3 May
1869, commissioned 21 May 1869
William P. Edwards, First Lieutenant:
Elected 17 October 1870, commissioned 5 November 1870, resigned
18 August 1871.
Henry J. Burns, Captain: Elected 23 October
1871, commissioned 1 November 1871, reelected 3 November 1873,
1 November 1876, 5 November 1877, 3 November 1879
Edwin O. Hunt, First Lieutenant: Elected
22 January 1972, commissioned 16 January 1872, reelected 5 January
1874, 4 January 1876
Joshua Robertson, First Lieutenant: Elected
7 January 1877, commissioned 30 January 1878, resigned 17 May
1879, reelected 6 October 1879, recommissioned 5 November 1879
Joshua Robertson, Captain: Elected 22
March 1880, commissioned 4 June 1880.
M. N. Laufenberg, First Lieutenant: Elected
22 March 1880, commissioned 9 June 1880
At a meeting held in the Turn Verein
Hall, San Francisco, October 14, 1861, presided over by Colonel
J. S. Ellis, acting chairman, a volunteer military company was
organized and designated as the Sumner Home Guard to be attached
to the First Regiment , Second Brigade, Second Division. At this
meeting an election of officers was held and Thomas B. Ludlum
was elected Captain and S. Barker, as First Lieutenant. A bond
was posted and accepted by the State for the necessary arms and
accoutrements, November 9, 1861.
At the Second Brigade Encampment held in the Spring of 1863 it
was voted that the company change their mime to Sumner Light
Guard which was granted by the Adjutant General, December 24,
1863. This company, formerly known as Company I, Sumner Home
Guard,was changed to Company E, Sumner Light Guard, under the
National Guard reorganization of August 29, 1866, and carried
that name until mustered out of the State service. When the company
was organized fifty-six men enrolled as members and after the
reorganization the membership increased to ninety-three.
20, 1864, a military escort of six companies was ordered to attend
the funeral of the late Lieutenant Colonel Ringold. Two of the
companies were from the California Militia; they were the Sumner
Light Guard and the City Guard of San
Francisco ordered out for the occasion by General Allen and
under the command of Colonel Sibley. On August 29 , 1877,
a leave of absence for sixty days was granted to Captain H. J
. Burns and Second Lieutenant Joshua Robertson, officers of the
Sumner Light Guard, to represent the National Guard of California
in the Interstate Military Match which was to be held that year
at Creedmoor, New York. Upon their return Joshua Robertson
was elected First Lieutenant under Captain H. J. Burns, January
7, 1878. Distinction again was won along the same lines by the
Sumner Light Guard when the State Agricultural Society in conjunction
with the citizens of Sacramento, offered inducements in the way
of prizes for drill and marksmanship to military companies attending
the State Fair of 1878. A competitive rifle contest was held
under the supervision of Colonel James Laven, General Inspector
of rifle practice. Several companies participated in the contest
including the Sumner Light Guard, represented by their Captain,
H. J. Burns, who had previously excelled in marksmanship. Captain
Burns won first prize in the rifle contest, which consisted of
three hundred dollars and a gold medal presented to him by the
president of the State Agricultural Society: M. D. Boruch.
There are no records of any unusual
activities concerning this company other than participating in
their regular company drills and Brigade Encampments until later
. in 1871. In the early part of June of that year, serious disturbances
occurred in Sutter Creek, Amador County. An association of miners
and other citizens was organized and conducted for the purpose
of benevolence and for the promotion of kindly acts among its
members. Finally the association branched off and became a league
(known as Union) for an advance of wages, for the regulation
of .prices, for labor at the mines, and for the enforcement of
mine conduct. These existing prices and the principles advocated
by the Miners' League were obnoxious to the proprietors of the
mines. The League was not unlawful and may have been considered
in some degree reasonable as the workmen were to be fully sympathized
with in an effort to advance their rates of pay. Ultimately the
owners entirely refused to acquiesce with the League whose demands
they declared unreasonable.
The League resolved that no work should be done except under
the desired scale of wages, and failing to induce all men to
abandon their work, the League members marched to the mines and
with threats of personal violence forced all who were disposed
to work to leave their posts. Not satisfied with this act of
open violence against law and order, the League demanded that
the engineers operating the mines should stop pumping water and
the engineers were forced to abandon their posts and the mines
were left to accumulate water. The civil authorities failed to
supply a proper remedy for the trouble, and a reign of terror
began in Sutter Creek and continued throughout Amador County.
Armed men paraded the County. No man was permitted to work and
threats were made against all who attempted to enter the mines.
Strangers arriving and accepting work were driven away, and not
only property but life was placed in danger.
Under such deplorable condition,
it was deemed necessary by the mine owners to bring this situation
to the attention of the Governor and ask that he intervene. Therefore,
an urgent request was sent to Governor Henry H. Haight asking
that he send the National Guard to protect their properties valued
at several million dollars.
As the State Military Fund was
exhausted and the State was entirely without breech-loading arms,
while the Leaguers were understood to possess between five and
seven hundred stand of arms and also one piece of artillery,
the mine owners offered to supply arms and defray all expenses
of the men and officers.
On June 21, 1871, Governor Haight issued Special Order No. 17
calling out two companies of San Francisco National Guard. The
companies were the Sumner Light Guard, Company E and National
Guard, Company C. Major J. F. Bronson was commanding the battalion
and was ordered to proceed without delay to Latrobe, El Dorado
The Leaguers resented the troops'
arrival and were understood to express defiance of the law and
for a short time there was fear of bloodshed, but no hostile
demonstrations were made against the troops, with the exception
of firing a few blank cartridges over their heads, which were
acts of folly.
An agreement was finally reached
between the mine owners and the League after the mine owners
agreed not to employ Chinese labor. A peaceful and bloodless
settlement of difficulties was, therefore, reached. All trouble
was settled and further armed forces rendered unnecessary. Orders
were received for the return of the troops to San.Francisco.
The Sumner Light Guard was active in their regular drills and
target practices besides the parudes required by law. The Second
Brigade paraded in honor·of·the victorious Creedmoor
Team, November 5, 1877; Captain H. J. Burns 2nd Lieutenant J.
Robertson of this company participated in the contest and made
remarkable score which had much to do with winning the trophy,
a bronze statue designated as "The Soldier of Marathon"
Again on the twenty-second of February
and on the Fourth of July 1877, the Second Brigade was on parade
and the Sumner Light Guard was in attendance and participated
as part of the citizens' procession. The fourth of July parade
was the most brilliant pageant ever staged by the Second Brigade
prior to that year .
This Guard also took active part
in the suppression of riots in San Francisco between the citizens
and Chinese which caused destruction of life and property. On
July 23 1376, the troops were ordered to assemble in their armories
to await orders, and on July twenty-ninth Chief of Police Ellis,
realizing the City Police were unable to cope with the mob, requested
the Militia Troops to be sent to different rendezvous and placed
on duty at designated places. The next day quiet had been restored
in the city and orders were received from the Chief of Police
to dismiss the troops. Later the Sumner Light Guard was under
arms on October 20, l876, in anticipation of a renewed riot and
threats on the Chinese quarters.
On November 10, 1877, the Sumner
Guard was called into active service and placed under the direction
of the Chief of Police for the suppression of an unlawful and
riotous assemblage held by anti-Chinese sympathizers, which lasted
for nine days. The company was dismissed and then again on January
16, 1878, was called into active service for eleven days, as
threats were freely made that the armories would be seized at
a time when the troops were unprepared. After this unpleasant
condition had been subdued in San Francisco, the Brigade was
sent to Sacramento for a field day parade, reviewed by the Governor,
1879. On the return trip to San Francisco, the special train
carry the First Regiment met with an accident. The train ran
into an open switch on the Oakland wharf, causing the engine
to plunge into the bay. The Engineer, William Brown,gave his
life in an attempt to save the train by remaining at his post
and applying the brakes. As a result the coaches stayed on the
tracks, but when the engine toppled into the water, the Engineer
unfortunately was wedged under the reverse levers and was not
able to escape, and was the only one to lose his life . The funeral
of Mr. Brown was held in Sacramento on September 30, 1880, and
the First Artillery Regiment of Sacramento paid military honors
to the deceased Engineer. The Sumner Light Guard, one of the
companies aboard the train on the evening of the wreck, sent
a beautiful floral piece as a tribute. It consisted of a triangular
pyramid, formed of tube-roses, white jasmines, camelias, white
pinks, and delicate ferns tastefully arranged . It was three
feet four inches in height and two feet, four inches at the base,
and on the three sides were the inscriptions : "Rest"
"Honor the Brave'', and "S. L. G., Co . E, First Regiment"
Under the reorganization of the
National Guard 1880, the Sumner Light Guard was designated as
a company by letter "E . For further information concerning
this unit refer to Company E, First Regiment of Infantry, Second
1.The Daily Alta California, April
6, 1864, page 1 Column 1.
2. Adjutant General Report 1877-1879,
Page 66, Special Order No. 19.
3. Adjutant General Report of 1877-1879, Page 12.
4. Adjutant General Report 1870-1871,
5. Adjutant General Report 1875-1877,
6. Adjutant General Report 1877-1879, Page 76.
7. San Francisco Examiner, September
27, 1880, Page 3, Column 4 .
8. San Frencisco Examiner, October 1, 1880, Page 2, Column
This history was completed
in 1940 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in conjunction
with the California National Guard and the California State Library
Light Infantry (1876)
Besides the regular United States soldiery,
San Francisco has within her limits military organizations comprising"
a numerical force of over two thousand five hundred men. This
body consists of three regiments of infantry, one battalion of
cavalry, and one light battery of artillery - all attached to
the second brigade of the National Guard of California; also
fifteen independent military companies numbering about a thousand
men. The force is made up of the citizen soldiery, and considering
the civil duties devolving upon them, it is remarkable how skilled
they have become in the difficult art of war.
Many of the companies comport themselves
at drill in a manner that betokens the veteran warriors. Although
they come from the office, the store, the workbench and forge,
and from every peaceful industrial pursuit, they are a hale band
of men,ready at any time to shoulder their knapsacks and step
from the luxury of domestic life into the tented field.
California's loyalty to the Union, during
the war of rebellion, was due more, perhaps, to the patriotism
of her home soldiery than to the preponderance of a loyal sentiment
among her citizens. The military in San Francisco has ever been
loyal to their country's flag - and was, during the war, even
radical in their devotion to the Federal Government.
While there are other companies in the
National Guard of California that are equal in military accomplishments
to this. Company E, or "The Sumner Light Guard," is
perhaps most widely known, because of having produced a rifle
team that has particularly distinguished itself at several important
con- tests in marksmanship.
Fourteen young men, all members of the
First Congregational Church in San Francisco, took the first
step in organizing this company, by each signing the following
"Believing that our duty to our
God and our country is paramount to every other duty, and that
our country's safeguard consists in the ability of her citizens
to defend themselves against the assaults of foreign and domestic
foes, we, the undersigned, hereby form ourselves into a military
On August 10, 1861, they called a meeting
in the vestry of the Church, at the corner of DuPont and California
streets, and invited a number of their friends to attend. The
meeting resulted in the election of a President and Secretary,
and the appointment of committees to procure a suitable drill
hall, and to make all the necessary arrangements for a permanent
organization. Turn Verein Hall, on Bush Street, near Powell,
was secured and retained for a place of meeting and drill, until
the present Armory of the First Regiment was erected. The first
drill officer was D. D. Neal, a gentleman of varied acquirements,
who has since achieved quite a reputation as an artist in Germany.
The company was formally organized, according
to the law of the State of California, on October 14, 1861, Col.
John S. Ellis, commander of the First Infantry Regiment, presiding
at the election of officers. The commissioned officers elected
were: Captain, Thomas B. Ludlum; First Lieutenant, Stephen Barker;
Second Lieutenant, Rufus W. Thompson; and Brevet Second Lieutenant,
In July, 1864, Capt. Ludlum was elected
to the office of Lieut-Colonel of the regiment, and was succeeded,
as Captain, as Abram Moger, who in turn was succeeded by Charles
H. Daly, Oscar Wood hams, and Henry^ J. Burns, the present Captain.
Three of the "Sumners" commanders have held the position
of Lieut-Colonel of their Regiment - Capt. Ludlum (who has also
held the office of Colonel), Mogers and "Wood hams - the
latter yet acting in that office.
The "Sumners" have always been
reliable, and in any excitements where the presence of the military
was deemed necessary to restore order, they have been a willing
and chosen company, to such service. A few years ago, when the
miners in Amador County "struck" for higher wages and
grew so belligerent in demeanor as to intimidate all local authorities,
this company, in connection with company C - the "Nationals"
- was detailed to go to the scene of disorder, and promptly responded
to the order. Fortunately, the military in San Francisco have
not been introduced to the rigors and dangers of actual conflict
on the battlefield, but there is no reason to suppose but that,
should the emergency require, they would "fight as Kosciusko
fought, and, if needs be, fall as Kosciusko fell."
The Sumner Light Guard was the first military
company on the Pacific Coast to introduce the Hythe system of
scientific shooting into their drill practice. In July, 1873,
it was discovered that two members of the company, Messrs. James
Gowrie and "W. B. Grant, were proficient in the new method
of shooting; and, in August following, classes were formed to
engage in this practice, under competent instructors. Shortly
thereafter, target practice in the field was begun, and has since
been kept up, though at times under very adverse circumstances.
The Hythe system has recently been adopted at Creedmoor, and
is fast coming into general use all over the country.
Under command of Captain Burns, the Sumners
have given much attention to target shooting, and the popularity
they have gained in their several contests has prompted most
of the military organizations on the coast to emulation in the
In a match for the championship between
States, the Sumners were victorious over Company D, 12th New
York State National Guards and the "Emmet Guard" of
Nevada - winning for California the championship over New York
The company recently made the highest score in short-range practice
that has been recorded in the United States, and a the annual
target practice at Camp Schofield it has been victorious in several
The Sumner rifle team that has engaged
in the principal contests, is composed of the following members
of the company:
H. J. Burns, Captain.
E. O. Hunt, Lieutenant.
G. H. Strong, Sergeant.
Chas. Nash, Corporal.
David Watson, Private
John Steed, Private
J. Robertson, Private
Wm. Burke, Private
Chas. B. Peeble, Private.
B. A. Sable, Private
W. F. Murray, Private
A. S. Folger, Private
Wm. Dove, Private
V. C. Post, Private
Thos. Murphy, Private
If, in our future wars, when "foe
meets foe in battle array" the "beads" are drawn
upon each other as deliberately and accurately as in the target
practice of today - if their nerves do not grow unsteady at the
thought of death, the havoc will have been so universal that
few, if any, will be spared to shout the victory, or tell the
tale of defeat.
The Sumners, Socially
During the earlier years of the company's
existence it was an exceedingly popular organization in society.
Many of its members ranked high in the social scale, and frequent
parties and entertainments were the offspring of their social
dispositions. Nearly all the members were young, and buoyant
of spirit, and nothing was more enjoyable to them than a mirthful
"frolic." By the townsfolk, it was considered a mark
of distinction to receive an invitation to a ball or party conducted
under the auspices of Company E, of the 1st Regiment.
But of those who were young and light-hearted
then, some have joined the army of the dead, others have dropped
out of the ranks and have been lost sight of in the hubbub of
the world, while those who yet remain have mostly taken upon
themselves family cares, and are so held down by the pressure
of business that little time can be devoted to the company, except
as discipline demands.
The name "Sumner," adopted by
the company, is in honor of General Sumner, who was in command
of the U. S. Military Division of the Pacific, at or near the
time the Sumner Light Guard was organized.
Extracted for the book,
Lights and Shades in in San Francisco by Benjamin E. Lloyd,
Edwin Vose Sumner (January 30, 1797
March 21, 1863) was a career United States Army officer who became
a Union Army general and the oldest field commander of any Army
Corps on either side during the American Civil War. His nicknames
"Bull" or "Bull Head" came both from his
great booming voice and a legend that a musket ball once bounced
off his head.
Sumner fought in the Black Hawk War, with
distinction in the Mexican-American War, on the Western frontier,
and in the Eastern Theater for the first half of the Civil War.
He led the II Corps of the Army of the Potomac through the Peninsula
Campaign, the Seven Days Battles, the Maryland Campaign, and
the Battle of Fredericksburg.
Early Life and Career
Sumner was born in Boston, Massachusetts,
to Elisha Sumner and Nancy Vose Sumner. His early schooling was
in Milton Academy in Milton, Massachusetts. In 1819, after losing
interest in a mercantile career in Troy, New York, he entered
the United States Army as a second lieutenant in the 2nd US Infantry
Regiment on March 3, 1819. He was promoted to first lieutenant
on January 25, 1825.
Sumner's military appointment was facilitated
by Samuel Appleton Storrow, Judge Advocate Major on the staff
of General Jacob Jennings Brown of the Northern department. (Storrow
had previously served as a mentor to Sumner in Boston.) In recognition
of their long-standing friendship, Sumner would later name one
of his sons Samuel Storrow Sumner.
He married Hannah Wickersham Foster (18041880)
on March 31, 1822. They had six children together: Nancy, Margaret
Foster, Sarah Montgomery, Mary Heron, Edwin Vose Jr., and Samuel
Storrow Sumner. His son Samuel was a general during the Spanish-American
War, Boxer Rebellion, and the Philippine-American War. Sumner's
daughter, Mary Heron, married General Armistead L. Long in 1860.
Sumner later served in the Black Hawk
War and in various Indian campaigns. On March 4, 1833, he was
promoted to the rank of captain and assigned to command B Company,
the U.S. Dragoon Regiment (later First US Dragoons), immediately
upon its creation by Congress.
In 1838, he commanded the cavalry instructional
establishment at Carlisle Barracks in Pennsylvania. He was assigned
to Ft. Atkinson, Iowa Territory, from 1842 until 1845. He was
the fort's commander during most of that period. He was promoted
to major of the 2nd Dragoons on June 30, 1846. During the Mexican-American
War, Sumner was brevetted for bravery at the Battle of Cerro
Gordo (to lieutenant colonel). It was here that he gained the
nickname "Bull Head" because of a story about a musket
ball that bounced off his head during the battle. At the Molino
del Rey he received the brevet rank of colonel. He was promoted
to lieutenant colonel of the 1st US Dragoons on July 23, 1848.
He served as the military governor of the New Mexico Territory
from 185153, and was promoted to colonel of the 1st U.S.
Cavalry on March 3, 1855.
In 1856 Sumner commanded Fort Leavenworth,
Kansas, and became involved in the crisis known as Bleeding Kansas.
In 1857, as commander of the 1st Cavalry Regiment (1855), he
led a punitive expedition against the Cheyenne. and in 1858 he
commanded the Department of the West. On January 7, 1861, Sumner
wrote to President-elect Abraham Lincoln, advising him to carry
a weapon at all times. Lt. Gen. Winfield Scott assigned Sumner
as the senior officer to accompany Lincoln from Springfield,
Illinois, to Washington, D.C., in March 1861.
Civil War Service
February 1861, Brig. Gen. David E. Twiggs was dismissed from
the Army for treason by outgoing U.S. President James Buchanan,
and on March 12, 1861, Sumner was nominated by the newly inaugurated
Lincoln to replace Twiggs as one of only three brigadier generals
in the regular army, with date of rank March 16. Sumner was thus
the first new Union general created by the secession crisis.
He was then sent to replace Brig. Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston,
then in command of the Department of the Pacific in California,
and thus took no part in the 1861 campaigns of the war. When
Sumner left for California, his son-in-law Armistead Lindsay
Long resigned his commission and enlisted with the Confederate
Army eventually becoming Robert E. Lee's military secretary and
an artillery brigadier general.
In November 1861, Sumner was brought back
east to command a division, and on May 5, 1862 he was promoted
to major general in the Union Army. When Maj. Gen. George B.
McClellan began organizing the Army of the Potomac in March,
Sumner was given command of one of its new corps. McClellan had
not originally formed corps within the Army; Sumner was selected
as one of four corps commanders by President Lincoln, based on
his seniority. The II Corps, commanded during the war by Sumner,
Darius N. Couch, Winfield Scott Hancock, and Andrew A. Humphreys,
had the deserved reputation of being one of the best in the Eastern
Theater. Sumner, who was the oldest of the generals in the Army
of the Potomac, led his corps throughout the Peninsula Campaign
and the Seven Days Battles.
McClellan originally formed a poor opinion
of Sumner during the Battle of Williamsburg on May 5, 1862. During
McClellan's absence, Sumner directed the inconclusive battle,
which failed to impede the Confederate withdrawal up the Peninsula,
and McClellan wrote to his wife, "Sumner had proved that
he was even a greater fool than I had supposed & had come
within an ace of having us defeated." At the Battle of Seven
Pines, however, Sumner's initiative in sending reinforcing troops
across the dangerously rain-swollen Chickahominy River prevented
a Union disaster. He received the brevet of major general in
the regular army for his gallantry at Seven Pines. Despite this
honor, during the Union retreat of the Seven Days, McClellan
expressed reluctance to name a second in command during his absences,
knowing that Sumner was the most senior corps commander. Sumner
was wounded in the arm and hand at the Battle of Glendale. Despite
his old-fashioned ideas on discipline and respect for commanding
officers, the II Corps troops generally had a positive opinion
In the fall of 1862, at the Battle of
Antietam, Sumner was the center of controversy. A morning attack
he ordered Brig. Gen. John Sedgwick's division to launch into
the West Woods was devastated by a Confederate counterattack;
Sedgwick's men were forced to retreat in great disorder to their
starting point with over 2,200 casualties. Sumner has been condemned
by most historians for his "reckless" attack, his lack
of coordination with the other corps commanders, accompanying
Sedgwick's division personally and losing control of his other
attacking division, failing to perform adequate reconnaissance
prior to launching his attack, and selecting an unusual line
of battle formation that was so effectively flanked by the Confederate
counterattack. Historian M.V. Armstrong's recent scholarship,
however, has determined that Sumner did perform appropriate reconnaissance
and his decision to attack where he did was justified by the
information available to him.
When Maj. Gen. Ambrose Burnside succeeded
to the command of the Army of the Potomac, he grouped the corps
in "grand divisions" and appointed Sumner to command
the right grand division. In this capacity, the old cavalry soldier
took part in the disastrous Battle of Fredericksburg, in which
the II Corps suffered heavy casualties in frontal assaults against
fortified Marye's Heights.
Soon afterward, on Maj. Gen. Joseph Hooker's
appointment to command the army, Sumner was relieved at his own
request, apparently disillusioned with the quarreling in the
army and also thoroughly exhausted. He was reassigned to a new
command in Missouri effective in the spring. Before that, Sumner
went to his daughter's home in Syracuse, New York to rest. While
there, he suffered a heart attack and died on March 21, 1863.
His two sons, Brigadier General Edwin
Vose Sumner, Jr. and Major General Samuel S. Sumner, both served
in the Civil War and the Spanish-American War.
Sumner is buried in Section 8, Lot 1 of
Oakwood Cemetery in Syracuse. Part of the Teall family plot,
the gravesite has some structural problems and issues of disrepair.
The Onondaga County Civil War Round Table is currently raising
funds to repair the grave and the general area.
Extracted from Wikipedia, 26
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster