California Militia and National Guard Unit Histories
Union Guard
(Copperoplis, Calaveras County)
"2009-0724-CA-052-CopperopolisArmory" by Bobak Ha'Eri - Own work. Licensed under CC BY 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons -
The Copporoplis Armory, Home of the Union Guard
Organizational Data

Military Unit Designation: Union Guard, 3rd Brigade, California Militia (after 1866, National Guard of California)
Date of Organization:
August 30, 1864
Date of Disbanding:
January 31, 1868
Inclusive dates of units papers:
Geographical Location or Locations:
Copperopolis, Calaveras County

Unit Papers on File at the California State Archives:

a. Organization Papers 1 document (1864)
b. Bonds none
c. Correspondence (Unclassified letters) 5 documents (1864-1868)
d. Election Returns 3 documents (1866-1867)
e. Exempt Certificates, Applications for none
f. Muster Rolls, Monthly returns 10 documents (1864-1867)
g. Oaths Qualifications 6 documents (1864-1867)
h. Orders none
i. Receipts, invoices 3 documents (1864-1868)
j. Requisitions 3 documents (1864-1866)
k. Resignations 2 documents (1866-1867)
l. Target Practice Reports none
Link to the Unit's Official History:
Union Guard of Copperoplis
The Copperoplis Armory
The Copperopolis Armory is a Civil War armory located at 695 Main St. in Copperopolis, California. The brick Greek Revival building was constructed in 1864 to house the Union Guard of Copperopolis, the town's regiment of the Union Army. Copperopolis largely owed its existence to the war; the town grew due to a boom in local copper mining in 1860, which stemmed from the Union Army's need for copper ammunition. The armory served a variety of purposes for the Union Guard; at the building, new soldiers were enlisted, training was conducted, and arms and supplies were stored. Military balls, victory celebrations, and the local funeral ceremonies for Abraham Lincoln also took place in the armory. The armory also held an 1837 bronze cannon, which was used for ceremonial purposes and arms training; the cannon remains in the building and is one of the few American bronze cannons from the era in California. After the war, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows bought the building, which they converted to a social hall. In 1940, the armory became a community center.
The armory was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 30, 1997.
Search our Site!
Search the Web Search California Military History Online
Questions and comments concerning this site should be directed to the Webmaster
Updated 8 February 2016