USS Wyoming in drydock
at Mare Island Naval Shipyard, 1909
The second WYOMING (Monitor No.
10) was laid down on 11 April 1898 at San Francisco, California.,
by the Union Iron Works, launched on 8 September 1900; sponsored
by Miss Hattie Warren, daughter of Senator Francis E. Warren
of Wyoming, and commissioned at the Mare Island Navy Yard, Vallejo,
California., on 8 December 1902, Commander. V. L. Cottman in
After fitting out at Mare Island, WYOMING
ran her trials and exercises in San Pablo and San Francisco Bays
and conducted exercises and target practice off the southern
California coast through the summer of 1903 before she headed
south in the autumn, reaching Acapulco, Mexico, on 31 October.
She subsequently shifted further south, to Colombia, where a
civil war threatened American lives and interests. The monitor
accordingly arrived in Panamanian waters on 13 November and sailed
up the Tuira River in company with the protected cruiser Boston,
with a company of marines under Lieutenant. S. A. M. Patterson,
USMC, and Lieutenant. C. B. Taylor, USMC, embarked, to land at
"Yariza" and observe the movements of Colombian troops.
The presence of American armed might there
and elsewhere ultimately resulted in independence for the Panamanians.
During that time, WYOMING anchored at the Bay of San Miguel
on 15 December. The following day, a boat with 11 marines embarked
left for the port of La Palma, under sail. While Boston departed
the scene on the 17th, WYOMING shifted to La Palma on
the following day. There, Lieutenant. Patterson, USMC, with a
detachment of 25 marines, commandeered the steamer Tuira and
took her upriver. While the marines were gone, a party of evacuated
American nationals came out to the monitor in her gig.
Meanwhile, Patterson's marines had joined
the ship's landing force at the village of Real to keep an eye
on American interests there. Back at La Palma, WYOMING
continued to take on board American nationals fleeing from the
troubled land and kept up a steady stream of supplies to her
landing party of bluejackets and marines at Real. Ultimately,
when the need for them had passed, the landing party returned
to the ship on Christmas Eve.
remained in Panamanian waters into the spring of 1904 keeping
a figurative eye on local conditions before she departed Panama
Bay on 19 April, bound for Acapulco. After remaining at that
port from 27 to 29 April, WYOMING visited Pichilinque,
Mexico from 3 to 9 May. She subsequently reached San Diego on
the 14th for a nine-day stay.
For the remainder of 1904, WYOMING
operated off the west coast, ranging from Brighton Beach and
Ventura, California., to Bellingham, Wash., and Portland, Oreg.
She attended a regatta at Astoria, Oreg., from 22 to 27 August
and later took part in ceremonies at the "unveiling of monuments"
at Griffin Bay, San Juan Islands and Roche Harbor before she
entered the Puget sound Navy Yard, Bremerton, Wash., on 22 October.
was overhauled there into the following year. She departed the
Pacific Northwest on 26 January 1905 and steamed via San Francisco
to Magdalena Bay Mexico, for target practice. Later cruising
to Acapulco and Panamanian waters, WYOMING also operated
off San Salvador and Port Harford, California., before she returned
to Mare Island on 30 July to be decommissioned on 29 August 1905.
It was during this period the she served as a training vessel
for the California Naval Militia
Recommissioned on 8 October 1908, Commander.
John J. Knapp in command, WYOMING spent over two months
at Mare Island refitting. Converted to oil fuel-the first ship
to do so in the United States Navy-she underwent tests for her
oil-burning installation at San Francisco Santa Barbara, and
San Diego into March 1909.
During those tests, WYOMING was
renamed CHEYENNE on 1 January 1909, in order to clear
the name WYOMING for the projected Battleship No. 32.
The ship consequently underwent more tests on her oil-burning
equipment at Santa Barbara, San Pedro, and San Diego before she
was placed in reserve at Mare Island on 8 June. She was decommissioned
on 13 November of the same year.
Recommissioned, in reserve, on 11 July
1910, Lieutenant. Commander. C. T. Owens in command, CHEYENNE
was assigned to the Washington (state) Naval Militia in 1911
and operated in an "in commission, in reserve" status
into 1913. Shifting to the Puget Sound Navy Yard early in February
of 1913, CHEYENNE was fitted out as a submarine tender
over the ensuing months. Finally, on 20 August 1913, CHEYENNE
was placed in "full commission," Lieutenant. Kenneth
Heron in command.
The newly converted submarine tender operated
in the Puget Sound region until 11 December, when she sailed
for San Francisco. In the ensuing months, CHEYENNE tender
the submarines of the 2d Submarine Division, Pacific Torpedo
Flotilla, at Mare Island, San Francisco, and San Pedro, into
April of 1914. Later that spring, when troubled conditions in
Mexico threatened American lives and property, CHEYENNE
interrupted her submarine tending duties twice, once in late
April and once in mid-May, to embark refugees at Ensenada and
San Quentin, Mexico, transporting them both times to San Diego.
then resumed her submarine tending operations on the west coast,
continuing them into 1917. On 10 April of that year, four days
after the United States entered World War I-she proceeded to
Port Angeles, Wash., the designated point of mobilization for
the Pacific Fleet, in company with the submarines H-l (Submarine
No. 28) and H-2 (Submarine No. 29), arriving there on the 16th.
Subsequently shifting to the Puget Sound Navy Yard, CHEYENNE
remained at that port for most of a month taking on stores and
provisions loading ammunition and receiving men on board to fill
the vacancies in her complement. On 28 April CHEYENNE
guarded N-1 (Submarine No. 35) as she ran trials off Port Townsend,
Wash. On 4 May, the warship returned to Puget Sound for drydock
and yard work. Completing that refit late in May, CHEYENNE
shifted southward to San Pedro, California., where she established
a submarine base and training camp for personnel for submarine
CHEYENNE subsequently joined the Atlantic Fleet, serving
as flagship and tender for Division 3, Flotilla 1, Submarine
Force, Atlantic Fleet. On 17 December 1918, the ship was transferred
to Division 1, American Patrol Detachment. While with that force,
CHEYENNE lay at Tampico, Mexico, protecting American lives
and property from 16 January to 9 October 1919. Proceeding north
soon thereafter, the warship arrived at the Philadelphia Navy
Yard on 23 October 1919, where she was decommissioned on 3 January
While inactive at Philadelphia, the ship
was classified as a miscellaneous auxiliary, IX-4, in the fleetwide
designation of alphanumeric hull numbers of 17 July 1920. Subsequently
recommissioned at Philadelphia on 22 September of the same year,
CHEYENNE was towed to Baltimore, Md., by the tug LYKENS
Based there, CHEYENNE was assigned
to training duty with Naval Reserve Force (USNRF) personnel of
subdistrict "A " 5th Naval District, and trained USNRF
reservists through 1925. Basing at Baltimore, she occasionally
visited Hampton Roads during her cruises. On 21 January 1926,
the minesweeper OWL(AM-2) took CHEYENNE in tow
and took her to Norfolk and thence to Philadelphia where she
arrived on 27 January for inactivation.
Decommissioned on 1 June 1926, Cheyenne
was struck from the Navy list on 25 January 1937, and her stripped-down
hulk was sold for scrap on 20 April 1939.
ARKANSAS Class, Last of the Line
The ARKANSAS class
was the last group of monitors to be constructed for the U.S.
Navy although the navies of Great Britain and Italy built and
used monitors for shore bombardment during World War I and the
former used them during World War II as well. Single turreted
monitors, they mounted the most modern heavy guns in the U.S.
Navy at the time they were built, 12 inch 40 calibre weapons.
The ARKANSAS class did not see any combat during World
War I and instead served as submarine tenders. Alexander C. Brown,
writing in the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
Historical transactions noted in a penetrating comment that:
"Monitors found their
final employment as submarine tenders in World War I for which
their low freeboard hulls made them well suited. It is significant
to note, however, that in this humble capacity they were ministering
to the needs of that type of craft which had logically replaced
them for as initially envisaged monitors were designed to combine
heavy striking power with concealment and the presentation of
a negligible target area ..."
2 x 12 inch breech loading rifles
2 x 4 inch guns
2 x 6-pound guns
Turret: 10 inches
Sides: 8 inches
Questions and comments concerning
this site should be directed to the Webmaster